Green Gym header image

Key Volunteers

View all vacancies

Volunteer Officer/Project Leader

Place: Croydon & Surrey

Why we need you:
We are looking for Volunteer Project Leaders to plan, lead and deliver projects and help us to expand to take on new projects. We run project days every week, taking groups of volunteers to sites in and around Croydon to work on improving green spaces. Our website provides details of our upcoming projects and our Facebook page provides a photo diary of our recent projects.

Benefits to you:
These roles will provide practical experience in environment conservation, community development and volunteer management. We also provide training courses in areas such as project leadership, risk assessment for practical projects, and first aid. Most of our Volunteer leaders go on to find employment in the environment/charity sector after their time with TCV.

What you need:
At TCV a love of the environment and the enthusiasm to engage and support volunteers are the main things that you need. Ideally you will also hold a clean driving license so that you can drive our project van.

How much time:
Our Volunteer Officers work Tue, Wed & Thu each week with occasionally other days if they are available. To get the most out of these opportunities we would normally expect you to work for a period of around six months but this is flexible. As with most voluntary positions, the more you put into your time with us the more you will gain from it.

For further details please contact Peter Underwood on 020 8686 4993.


You will be supported in your role by experienced staff through regular meetings where issues can be resolved and guidance provided. You will have all reasonable expenses covered (foreign travel excepted) so will not be out of pocket through your volunteering. You will be insured and expected to comply with the policies and procedures of The Conservation Volunteers.

Where roles will be responsible for others, we need to check your references. When the role involves young people and vulnerable adults, we will need to ask for an Enhanced Disclosure from the Criminal Records Bureau, Central Registered Body in Scotland or appropriate body in Northern Ireland.

Many people who work in the Environmental Sector have used a Volunteer Officer role as a stepping stone in their career.